40.4K views

This complaint is about a fly-by-night company called Ubervita that has cracked the "code" to Amazon fake review superstardom and managed to submit 1,700 fake reviews for its bogus fat burner called W700 Thermogenic Hypermetabolizer.

W700 is claiming to be an “extreme weightloss supplement” and the “most powerful and trusted Thermogenic Diet Pill in the industry.” It also toots being “the fat burner used by elite professional atheletes (sic).” UberVita is also for “individuals who want to loss weight (sic)”.

When the company is asked via email, as well as on their Amazon sales page for the names of these “top athletes,” and for the exact ingredients of the product, they refuse to answer.

The ingredients of W700 are simply listed as “Weight loss thermogenic vitamins and supplements.” Their website text is equally short. The closest that can be found is a photo of W700’s label listing 468 milligrams of proprietary blend. According to supplement labeling regulations, the ingredients must be listed in order of prevalence, which means that W700 is mostly caffeine. How much of it? That’s anyone’s guess, and the company refuses to give more specific information even to emailed inquiries from concerned reviewers.

UberVita has also been dodging questions from Amazon shoppers asking whether they were posting their own fake reviews. The answer came from users who said they received offers of a full refund in exchange for a 5 star review. Shoppers report similar fake-review dumps starting to appear under the company’s other products, also listed on Amazon.

Unfortunately, when real customers report the obvious fake reviews, Amazon ignores the issue. They send a standard response about “thoroughly investigating all reports of review abuse”, signed by “Review Moderator at Amazon.com,” and then they do nothing. Why would they? They are making money on these scams!

Here is how Ubervita gets fake reviews on Amazon:

After a few lukewarm andbad reviews initially, they started to post fakes on their own, or probably hired a company to do it. People also sell fake reviews on Fiverr for $5 or on odesk, freelancer, any other site.

For their first 700 reviews, they posted 30 each day, like clockwork. This is very easy to check. People who took notice and questioned the legitimacy of their reviews were offered a free bottle of W700 or were given a full refund on their already made purchase. Negative reviews get voted down by Ubervita's people, and questions that expose the false claims Ubervita makes also get voted down. Ubervita knows how to fool Amazon and Amazon buyers.

After I ordered the W700 fat burner, I received a bottle of mystery pills. There were no ingredients or instructions on the bottle other than to take the “proprietary blend” once a day. As expected, I saw no improvement after taking the product, except for the initial caffeine kick that wore off in four days. Three weeks after ordering the product, I received a postcard in the mail, asking for a review and promising a free bottle of UberSurge, in exchange. The postcard said to send an email to surge@ubervita.com to “collect your free bottle.”

I emailed the company and their automatic response made it all too clear that a 5-star review was expected. They stated in bold, red letters that “If your experience was anything less than 5-star, PLEASE let us know how we can make it better. Merchants such as Amazon see 4 and 3 star reviews as the equivalent of a negative for us online.” This is obviously not true, and a trick Ubervita used to get a portion of their 5-star reviews. As some commenters on the product’s page stated, they would not have given W700 a 5-star rating if it weren’t for the incentive, but most omitted that fact from their reviews.

Upon complaining, Amazon will give a full refund without any questions because they know the product is worthless, but they do nothing to stop the Ubervita scam. In fact, Ubervita now has 4 other products on Amazon, and they are receiving and generating fake reviews for those too by the dozens daily.

So what can be done about this scam?

If you have been contacted by Ubervita to post a fake 5-star Amazon review in exchange for a free bottle of another product, please contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The company’s products make false claims, which the FDA takes very seriously. Report it at 1-800-FDA-1088 and https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/.

They are also posting their own fake and misleading positive reviews, as well as refunding customers their money in exchange for false positive reviews, both of which are violations the FTC has cracked down on in the past. Report it at (202) 326-2222 and on https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/. And if you are not disillusioned with Amazon.com yet, report it to them too, at the very least they will refund you the money you paid for a worthless product sold under false pretenses.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ubervita Supplement.

Comments

I use the product, I don't really think it's helped with weightloss but it definitely had helped my energy level. I wad offered a free bottle for a positive review but I hadn't even tried the product yet so obviously I didn't review. Which raised a flag or two for me however, I do love the energy I get from it though.

Now it's time for Amazon to finish the job and ban Eden Pond, owned by the same guy as Ubervita, Sam Keeler, and Dr. Danielle LLC, which is owned by his alleged girlfriend/friend, Danielle Saunders, and currently has the best selling Turmeric supplement on Amazon.

These two companies have, in my opinion, engaged in much of the same unscrupulous behavior and review manipulation as Ubervita. Dr. Danielle's Turmeric isn't even an extract of turmeric/curcumin according to the label, but just encapsulated Turmeric like you can get at the grocery store in bulk for cheap. The product cost an exorbitant $25 and is the only non-extract turmeric "supplement" that I've ever come across.

Many people use Turmeric extract as a supplemental treatment for serious illnesses, making the review manipulation in this case especially egregious. How many people buying Dr. Danielle's Turmeric think they are getting curcumin extract comparable to other Turmeric supplements sold at reputable health food stores due to Dr. Danielle's "best-seller" label on Amazon?

How many people know they can just order a pound of actual USDA Organic Turmeric powder for less than $10 online? Check Vitacost or Swansons. Dr. Danielle's Turmeric doesn't even have the USDA Organic label.

The reviews and comments for both Dr. Danielle and Eden Pond products, in my opinion, smack of fraud and deception. Furthermore, in my opinion, the owners of these companies have engaged in not only unethical, but sociopathic behavior with a blatant disregard for the well-being of their customers. In my opinion they are manipulating the review system to peddle some of the worst quality products on the market.

Case in point, Ubervita's Uber-Sleep, as described in another comment below. Amazon needs to start putting people before profits and do a better job of protecting it's customers from fraud!

I use Ubervita 800, and I do really like it. I have not been paid for this comment, and I just bought more of these pills.

They give me a lot of energy, and help me to curb my appetite. I ended up here, because the products are not being sold on Amazon right now, and I was wondering why, so I Googled, and found myself at this site! I wonder why this even exists - if you don't like a product, just don't buy it again.

Unless....you are the ones being paid to destroy a good product's name. :)

to Anonymous #1075719

Hahahaha. Nice try.

Your comment reads like a desperate attempt to salvage Ubervita's already-destroyed reputation. It doesn't concern you at all that this product has been BANNED by Amazon? You love it so much that you still want to buy it? Hahaha.

Come on, how naive do you think people are? In my opinion, you either work for Ubervita or are writing on the company's behalf. In my opinion, this company is so incredibly unethical that they would stoop to any low to try to deceive people. Once again, all you need to do is Google "Ubervita Imgur", and you will see what this company is about.

In my opinion, you'd have to be absolutely crazy to still seek out this product after it has been BANNED by Amazon, and moreover not carried by any major retailer.

to Anonymous #1075726

Haha, oh yeah and one more thing. This "reviewer" also makes it a point to say "I have not been paid for this comment..." Yeah, can you be any more sketchy buddy?

This is so pathetic I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for you.

One thing I know for sure is that I personally would never buy any product from a company like Ubervita.

to Anonymous Columbia, Missouri, United States #1268797

I totally agree with you.

Another interesting article regarding Ubervita. This one deals not only with the alleged review fraud discussed on this site, but also with the ingredients in W700 itself.

In my opinion, the analysis is very thorough and logically. Can Uverbita refute any of this? I'd love for someone to do a laboratory analysis of W700 like Laboor did for Ubervita Uber Sleep, which ranked dead last of the 30 melatonin supplements analyzed. In fact, the 29th ranked melatonin brand scored an A-, whereas Uber Sleep, at 30th, scored a C!

Check out: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/melatonin-supplements-face-arsenic-concerns-112715.html

This makes me personally question not only Ubervita's sales and advertising methods, but also the quality of their products. I personally would never buy any supplements from Ubervita. There are, in my opinion, too many reputable companies producing the same or similar products as Ubervita that I believe to be of better quality, and doing so more ethically.

I cannot understand why someone would even consider Ubervita in light of the information out there. It is no surprise to me that Amazon banned all Ubervita products, and that they are not sold by any major retailer that I know of.

Ubervita is now on Amazon's list of banned dietary supplements.

Looks like Amazon finally took down Ubervita products from its website. This was long overdo and I hope it's a permanent ban.

It's a shame it took this much negative publicity to get Amazon to act, but better late than never. Now I hope Amazon will also take action to remove Eden Pond and Dr.

Danielle products from its website as well, which are allegedly employing some of the same tactics as Ubervita and run by the either same people or people that know each other. In my opinion Amazon should ban the people behind these products rather than the products themselves for fear of them just starting up a new company and repeating the same business model.

#1051941

Here's an in-depth study on 580 reviews on one of their products: http://supplementreviews.com/articles/supplement-scams/i-analyzed-all-580-reviews-on-261 - pretty much exposes that they are completely manipulating the reviews on Amazon to rank their product higher.

New York, New York, United States #1050404

Just read that Amazon filed a lawsuit against paid reviewers, but I cannot find any information about Amazon combating the methods allegedly used by Ubervita. Please check out the article:

Is this really anymore ethical than outright paying for reviews?

Isn't a free product just another form of compensation? I am personally very skeptical of ALL Amazon reviews at this point, especially those pertaining to unfamiliar products and companies. I have stopped buying supplements on Amazon entirely for this reason alone, and have opted instead to shop at Swanson's or Vitamin Shoppe. I also now go to other websites like Target and Walmart to compare product reviews to those on Amazon, and many times just ended up buying from other retailers for the same or a better price.

You wouldn't believe how much some of these product reviews vary if you shop around. I also know, for example, that Ubervita used to be sold on the Walmart website, where it also accumulated many positive reviews in a short period of time, but was taken down relatively quickly. I appreciate the fact the Walmart is actually taking certain steps to vet its products and third party sellers. I used to shop almost exclusively at Amazon, but have lost a lot of trust in them.

I just see, in my opinion, way too many shady products, companies and business practices on Amazon.

I truly can't believe that Amazon is not making more of a effort to address this matter and to protect its reputation.

This is becoming more and more of an issue on amazon. A lot of the essential oils/vitamins and ETC health products are most likely fraudulent or cut/diluted down.

Most of these buyers are white labeling products from factories overseas and getting them capsulated/bottled in the USA in "fda compliant" labs. This gives them the power to list their products as fba lab compliant, which some buyers mistake for fba compliant. The overall product isn't compliant at all, just the lab part. This industry isn't regulated and anything can go down.

I could technically bottle up castor oil and sell it off as helichrysum oil (which is a VERY expensive oil), populate the listing with around 200 or so of the fake reviews you're referring to, and get away with it for quite a long time until the negatives start to catch fire and spread. Then I could rebrand, rinse, and repeat. I'm positive that this is what's going on in some industries. It's sellers defrauding buyers until the shadiness catches wind.

You ever notice how a lot of these supplement/oil companies look very similar in listing/bottle types? Well they're the same companies that are flooding the market to own the bulk space of amazon.

I read one review of a buyer purchasing a set of oils and all the oils were of the same consistency/color/smell, which means they were heavily diluted and sold off as 100% pure (which they market them as). They could had been the same exact thing, just having different labels to play it off as them being 'different'.

I recently was in the market for a whey protein powder and came across a brand that had the bulk of it's reviews from women. Women use whey, but it's not a majority.

This really pissed me off as a LOT of these products for reviews sites are heavily populated by women and it really was shown for this product. Some of these people don't even open the product(s), they receive them, take a picture, write their fake reviews, and then sell the product(s) on EBAY or as a third party on amazon for a little or big side income. For the whey, the reviews were wrote like they were pulled off a website fact sheet, which is how most of these reviews are done. Person receives product, either gets a fact sheet from the supplier, or does 5min research and rewrites stuff from wikipedia or something without any actual long-term testing of the product.

I don't know what is to come of this, but I use other sites for product research and then end up purchasing through amazon for that particular product.

I hope others do this.

Also, this is a new thing. It's a recent trend of mid 2014 where people(marketers) are seeing the potential in amazon selling and sourcing products via overseas and rebranding/whitelabeling them to sell on amazon through FBA. It's only going to get worse until amazon puts their foot down. I'm not even sure how they would begin doing this.

It's going to take some viral act for them to even give a *** since they're making a lot of money from the $ commissions that they get from these sellers. People are probably going to have to end up dying or seriously injuring themselves from the products before anything happens.

This is even happening on ETSY which is a handmade site. They don't have a good vetting process and you can sell basically anything as handmade w/o much or any proof.

I typed in my email, name etc. on the website to gather more information, but did not enter my credit card info on the next screen.

An hour later I received an e-mail from them to download my complimentary "e-book". I imagine it is downloading this e-book that is getting emails hijacked.

Be careful with unsecured downloading! Such is the Internet ouija board.

I bet this is all true, but regardless, the product is great and the company was smart enough to make a good product and smart enough to get good reviews for a excellent product.

It just sucks that it didnt work for you.

But it blows away everything else I tried that was twice as expensive.

So maybe you should either try it again, or stop hating.

to Anonymous #978557

Since one of the primary, if not THE primary, ingredients is caffeine, you'll really be "blown away" by a venti cold brewed ice coffee from Starbucks.

to Anonymous #998608

"Smart enough to get good reviews"? In my opinion, if a product is "excellent" as you claim, it markets itself and gets picked up by other retailers.

Walmart took it for a brief stint but then dropped it, which, in my opinion, is a red flag since Walmart sells just about everything and there must be an important reason that they dropped Ubervita. GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Target, Walgreens all do NOT carry this item. Why? Why would these corporations not want to make money off this product if its so good?

Hydroxycut, on the other hand, was sold just about everywhere. Numerous negative reviews also state dissatisfaction with the product, and I'm assuming those were written absent a free product incentive.

Moreover, in my opinion, quality products fully disclose all ingredients as opposed to just listing a proprietary blend.

Houston, Texas, United States #973827

I actually ordered these based on reviews when I recieved the bottle I started to google the ingredients since they don't list them on the site about 1-2 of the 17 ingredients mention anything about weight loss and web md states there are no studies that prove it it is just stated by dr oz so I didn't open the bottle yet. Then I came across this and by this time I'm irritated because I spent 30 bucks so I messages the amazon seller and asked questions and told them I ggogled the ingredients the information I found and how I read this review and also how only 1-2 of the 17 ingredients had little information to support their weightloss claim.

I didn't want a refund I wanted answers about how they came up with this information regarding the ingredients and where I can see proof that these ingredients have studies related to proven weight loss because I couldn't find any online. They responded quickly but only to ask for my order number for refund.

I feel if it was a legitimate ab burner pill they would've have fought more to prove their product works rather than just give money back. Really *** me off because I wanted answers not for them to run with their tail between their legs.

Google "Sam Keeler Ubervita"

Recently Discussed Reviews